Subject: Re: Doh - realised problem with kvm :)
To: Tim Liddelow <tim@cst.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1996 22:55:58
On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Tim Liddelow wrote:

> Please ignore my problem with kvm - I realised that my currently running
> kernel wasn't "/netbsd" which is used by the kvm routines.  It would
> be nice if they worked without this being the case - is there any way the
> kernel can find out its name ?

Not necessarily. On the mac, and probably on other platforms where
another OS comes up before NetBSD, the kernel might have come from a file
in this OS's file space.

But as I asked a little earlier, isn't all the info in memory already?
Allen briggs pointed out that it is so for the mac68k. Would it be hard
to keep it so for other ports, especially if most of this stuff is used
for kernel debugging?

This necessity of looking in a file for somthing written on your nose
just seems a bit silly.

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill