Subject: Packages (Re: xntpd)
To: Jesus M. Gonzalez <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/1996 18:55:24
> 	We are dealing with that by installing as much as possible
> under one directory. For instance, perl lives under
> 	The Perl script is very simple, and of course is available
> to whoever want it. Just drop me a line. BTW, ti shouldn't be that
> difficult to integrate its functionality into pkg_create, if
> somebody is interested...

The structure you suggest (putting everything belonging to one package in a
single dir) seems reasonably to me, too. Using pkg_tools won't be a problem
this way, but you'll have to provide some methods so users don't have to
maintain a list of directories for $PATH, $MANPATH, etc. for themselves. The
EazyInstall-scripts could act as a starting point, but the package-file used
there uses quite the same format as the pkg_tools need, so some work would be
necessary there to reduce redundancy. If we settle on some common formats (see
below), i can work on this.

Furthermore, we should decide on some common directory and naming conventions
for the packages' directories. I myself use /usr/local/<pkg>-<vers>, e.g.:

Also, some more thoughts on the "outer form" of the packages would be nice to
have nailed down:
 - ownersship of binaries
 - modes of files & directories
 - usage of symlinks
 - how to deal with additional documentation? Include it into packages? Make
   additional packages? Drop it alltogether? If not, where to put it? In the
   package-dir? Somewhere else, like /usr/share/doc/<pkg>-<version>?
 - Demands on pre-post-install/uninstall scripts: what arguments do they get,
   how they are called, etc.

Esp. the first few seem to be trivial, but i think those questions araised more
than once when putting together some packages.

So much for now...

      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg, Tel. 0941/943-2905
      Weekends: Bachstr. 40,   D-84066 Mallersdorf, Tel. 08772/6084
      Internet:, IRC: hubertf