Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: 51482) <etorwi@etn.ericsson.se (Raymond A. Wiker>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/1996 11:29:41
Hubert Feyrer writes:
 > Didn't see that one in my previous mail:
 > > I don't see what's wrong with the existing package installer... Granted,
 >
 > pkg_tools? I do!
 >
 > Think of the poor guy putting a package together: he types 'make install', and
 > gets files spilled all over his file-system if he uses the usual
 > "default"-setup. Now pkg_tools demands a list of files to include in the
 > package... how should he know? Not easy, and the main reason I didn't use
 > pkg_tools.

	Suggestion: Since a lot (heh...) of software uses "install" to
create directories and install files, it might be viable to extend the
functionality of "install"... At a minimum, it should be trivial to
make "install" create a list of what it does; this could then be
processed to give packing lists and scripts for creating a package and
uninstalling it.

	This does not work for applications/systems that do not use
"install", of course. Also, there are some aspects of installations
that are not done by "install" - editing /etc/rc.local, /etc/services,
copying emacs' lisp- and etc- directories and so on. These must
obviously be handled separately.

	Any thoughts on this?

	//Raymond.