Subject: Re: "external software" (was Re: xntpd)
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NAS.NASA.GOV>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 12:24:36
On Tue, 02 Jan 96 11:30:22 EST
 Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU wrote:

 > > My opinion is that we should not only allow but encourage people to
 > > make their own releases... If this was done properly, we would suddenly
 > > see all sorts of technology that could eventually be integrated back
 > > into the tree...
 >
 > I actually agree with this _quite_ a bit...  (In fact, it's been what
 > i've been trying to do with the Alpha code, but that's another
 > story...)

I think 3rd party CD-ROMS would be an excellent thing for NetBSD to
encourage, for exactly the reasons Herb stated.

 > > Anyway, those are just rambling thoughts. I sent something a little
 > > more organized to core O(1 month) ago and haven't heard a response. Since
 > > then though, I've had a core member tell me that NetBSD isn't interested
 > > in marketing and that the project is the code so now I'm totally
 > > confused...
 >
 > If the project is the code, and nobody's interested in marketing, then
 > the code -- and the project -- will end up being completely unused and
 > mostly ignored.

I agree with Chris.  This discussion re. marketing must have taken place
before December 10th (which is when I started receiving `core' mail).
Perhaps it's time for `core' to take up this issue again.  Herb, if you
could forward your proposal to `core' again (I know it seems silly, but,
please be patient with me :-), I'd really appreciate it.

Ciao.