Subject: Re: "external software" (was Re: xntpd)
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 17:06:36
Ted Lemon writes:
> > sendmail is a neccecary part of most systems, unlike xntpd.
>
> Um.  No.  I'm more likely to run xntpd on a system than sendmail,
> since it's always important that my system clock be accurate, but I
> see no reason to run sendmail on a diskless workstation.

Maybe we need to revive the tradition of the "contributed" software
section. This would consist of sources maintained by volunteers and
tightly integrated into NetBSD but not distributed as part of the core
system -- you would have to explicitly download the "contributed"
tree. This is distinct from packages in so far as there would be some
level of commitment to keep the contributed tree building...

Perry