Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Jonathan Stone <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 11:50:03
Jonathan Stone writes:
> Yoseff Francus <> writes:
> >Has anyone ported xntp to NetBSD??

I myself simply run it. It works more or less out of the box.

> I'd personally like to see xntp in the NetBSD source tree.  The sparc
> and pmax ports, for instance have lower latency and/or higher
> resolution gettimeofday() code than, say, SunOS or Ultrix; but last
> time I looked, the NetBSD kernel didn't have the adjtime() support
> that ntp used to prefer.

Well, a man adjtime produces:

ADJTIME(2)                NetBSD Programmer's Manual                ADJTIME(2)

     adjtime - correct the time to allow synchronization of the system clock

> Are there any copyright/license problems with incorporating xntp into
> the  NetBSD source tree?

No, and perhaps its a good idea, but the code doesn't need to be

What would certainly be a good idea would be the incorporation of Dave
Mills' kernel PLL code into NetBSD, which would dramatically increase
clock accuracy when used with ntp -- however, I haven't looked at
whether this could be done cleanly.