Subject: Re: gcc 2.7.2 in NetBSD-current
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 03:37:33
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996 01:48:10 +0100
 Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se> wrote:

 > Even though this is a volunteer project much too many PRs just never
 > get analyzed.  Esp. when people are afraid of developper-drainage it
 > *is* important to make runs through the PR database once in a while.

I did so last week, because I'm aware that the PR database has been
neglected somewhat in the past.  I'm making an attempt to correct that.

 > Today I did a search for John Kohl's non-closed kern-PRs just because
 > I remembered seeing some unionfs fixes.  I was stunned seeing 20 PRs
 > not handled by a single person...  That prolly scares people doing PRs,
 > it certainly scares me.  Anyway it's very good that GNATS is there,
 > and that there's a web query engine for it, that way people can pick
 > out the pieces anyway without needing to do double work (as was done
 > now) if they remember to search for fixes before jumping on the
 > hacking part themselves.

Yah ... I know ... I plowed through there and got the 6-billion "please
add an st_erase()" and will try to merge all of those into one
acceptable patch.  Yes, there are countless others.  Rest assured I'll
get to as many as I possibly can, however many that may be.  Some,
however, are definitely out of my realm (since they're C library or
standards or un-testable by me) and someone else will have to deal with
them.

 > Sorry, if this sounds like a flame.  It wasn't meant to be, but rather
 > constructive criticism.  I surely don't say I have the time to go
 > through the PR database...  And yes, I felt a little like "why did I
 > bother to send-pr that thing, when noone ever took notice of it?"...

That's unfortunate.  The fact that you pointed out that PR to me saved my
hide today.  Hopefully, you'll continue to submit them...