Subject: Re: "external software" (was Re: xntpd)
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@sigmasoft.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 00:55:09
> > Considering that xntpd compiles out-of-the-box for NetBSD, I don't
> > really see any reason for putting it into the source tree.  Far from
> > everyone is interested in running it...
>
> Analogy: "sendmail compile out the box, let's throw it out the source
> tree". "All this 4.4lite code compile out the box, let's throw it away".
> etc. etc.

sendmail is a neccecary part of most systems, unlike xntpd.

> Do you mean that as soon as all the work has been put into making
> the port maintainers of an excellent piece of software aware of
> the changes required that we should then ignore it as part of a
> distribution ? I would like to see *more* packages in the *standard*
> distribution to make it easier to install a complete system out of the
> box.

If anything, it should probably be put in othersrc, like eg. CVS which
also compiles out of the box...  Some software are nice to have as
_optional_ software, like what you'll find in the packages directories,
eg. HylaFAX.

> I also throw my nomination to the floor for the inclusion of Darren
> Reeds' excellent ip filter stuff. OK, the thing is a loadable
> module. Great. Now let me just patch each kernel source tree with
> the #ifdef surrounded changes... Another example of a member or
> core saying "I don't think this solution is elegant enough" without
> coming up with a timely alternative. I remember Darren offering
> the filter code last *SUMMER* guys. Where is the "official/pure/perfect"
> version from cofe ? Hello ? Anyone there ?

I, too, would like to see something like Reed's IP filter stuff in the
distribution, that would help make NetBSD more interesting to more
users.

Provided, of course, that it has a reasonable copyright, preferrably
UCB style.

> (I am rapidly getting bored with the "NIH" this side of the *BSD frontier).

And it was not my intention to make it sound like I did not want any
support for eg. xntpd, I am just not sure that belongs as part of the
standard distribution.

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Lockert        | postmaster@sigmasoft.com | Universe, n.: