Subject: "external software" (was Re: xntpd)
To: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@sigmasoft.com>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 08:44:43
> Considering that xntpd compiles out-of-the-box for NetBSD, I don't
> really see any reason for putting it into the source tree.  Far from
> everyone is interested in running it...

Analogy: "sendmail compile out the box, let's throw it out the source
tree". "All this 4.4lite code compile out the box, let's throw it away".
etc. etc.

Do you mean that as soon as all the work has been put into making
the port maintainers of an excellent piece of software aware of
the changes required that we should then ignore it as part of a
distribution ? I would like to see *more* packages in the *standard*
distribution to make it easier to install a complete system out of the
box.

I also throw my nomination to the floor for the inclusion of Darren
Reeds' excellent ip filter stuff. OK, the thing is a loadable
module. Great. Now let me just patch each kernel source tree with
the #ifdef surrounded changes... Another example of a member or
core saying "I don't think this solution is elegant enough" without
coming up with a timely alternative. I remember Darren offering
the filter code last *SUMMER* guys. Where is the "official/pure/perfect"
version from cofe ? Hello ? Anyone there ?

(I am rapidly getting bored with the "NIH" this side of the *BSD frontier).

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465