Subject: Bind/resolve problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 00:52:41
If I send a piece of mail using MH's "comp", it
shows up as
 From: VaX#n8 <>

Where myhost == obvious, == the domain name I use for my internal network
        (in the 192.168.1.octet, as specified in one of the RFC's) == where I _occasionally_ ppp into

** background **
bash# domainname

In other words, my domain name is neither or,
but rather a third domain, == where I usually PPP into.

As far as I know, is only mentioned in the /etc/hosts
table for the 192.168.1 entries, and is only mentioned insofar
as it is the _second_ nameserver in my resolv.conf.  So how are they getting
mixed up into my mail???

Mail sent _to_ the above address gets "eaten" by the firewall
at without error messages.  This bugs me, but is a totally
seperate issue.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why/how this is happening?

Finally, if I telnet to my smtp port, I get: Sendmail 8.6.12/8.6.9 ready at Tue, 2 Jan 1996 00:43:40 -0600

I have no idea why sendmail chooses the internal network interface name
rather than the one reported by "domainname", /etc/resolv.conf, et. al.
To my knowledge, the only place is mentioned is in /etc/hosts
and in /etc/hostname.ed0....

Thanks 10^6!  I find all this sendmail/bind/dns/resolve stuff very confusing,
and any help you can give would be appreciated!
Please CC to the below address if this header is mangled!
Existential void where prohibited.  PGP key at a keyserver near you.  Fnord