Subject: Bind/resolve problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@cs.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1996 00:52:41
**PROBLEM ONE**
If I send a piece of mail using MH's "comp", it
shows up as
 From: VaX#n8 <vax@myhost.mylocallan.net.mywork.com>

Where myhost == obvious,
      mylocallan.net == the domain name I use for my internal network
        (in the 192.168.1.octet, as specified in one of the RFC's)
      mywork.com == where I _occasionally_ ppp into

** background **
bash# domainname
myfriend.com

In other words, my domain name is neither mylocallan.net or mywork.com,
but rather a third domain, myfriend.com == where I usually PPP into.

As far as I know, mylocallan.net is only mentioned in the /etc/hosts
table for the 192.168.1 entries, and mywork.com is only mentioned insofar
as it is the _second_ nameserver in my resolv.conf.  So how are they getting
mixed up into my mail???

Mail sent _to_ the above address gets "eaten" by the firewall
at mywork.com without error messages.  This bugs me, but is a totally
seperate issue.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why/how this is happening?

**PROBLEM TWO**

Finally, if I telnet to my smtp port, I get:
220-myhost.mylocallan.net Sendmail 8.6.12/8.6.9 ready at Tue, 2 Jan 1996 00:43:40 -0600

I have no idea why sendmail chooses the internal network interface name
rather than the one reported by "domainname", /etc/resolv.conf, et. al.
To my knowledge, the only place mylocallan.net is mentioned is in /etc/hosts
and in /etc/hostname.ed0....

Thanks 10^6!  I find all this sendmail/bind/dns/resolve stuff very confusing,
and any help you can give would be appreciated!
Please CC to the below address if this header is mangled!
--
email: vax@cs.utexas.edu
Existential void where prohibited.  PGP key at a keyserver near you.  Fnord