Subject: Re: LKM's for some file systems
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@FLAME.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1995 15:57:47
[ moving this to a wider audiance.  I'm not certain how it got chopped
  to port-i386...]

>of course, if you're going to provide things like this, why not just
>make the process relatively transparent e.g. by changing mount_foo to:
>	(1) try to mount the file system of type foo,
>	(2) if that failed (with an error code that indicates
>	    no such file system exists in the kernel):
>		(a) see if it's loaded,
>		(b) try to load it if not (if so, fail mount operation),
>		(c) if load succeeds, try to mount it again.
>
>With a standard location for loadable modules, etc., (2) could very
>easily be a library routine.
>
>Unless i'm mistaken, FreeBSD did something not _too_ dissimilar to
>this, though i've not looked at their code in a Long Time.

Yep, I'm gonna look at doing Just That.  :)

In truth, I'd like to add the support FreeBSD has for lkm's into
NetBSD.  The method they use doesn't seem to be that bad, at least at
first glance.

If someone would like to look at it as well and start a discussion,
I'd be more than happy to do the work involved.  :)

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Netshade the world!