Subject: opinions on syslogd timeout...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/1995 16:17:27
Howdy, folks.

I'm merging our syslogd with the version in 4.4lite2, and I discovered
one wacky difference.

Syslogd uses ttymsg from wall to send out its messages to
terminals. This routine forks off a copy of the process and has it
wait around trying for a specified time if it can't immediately write
to the tty.

Our present syslogd specifies a timeout of 1 second on the lifetime of
such processes, which is pretty low.

The 4.4lite2 syslogd has a lifetime in it of five minutes, which is
pretty high.

These are rather different numbers (!) and I was wondering if anyone
had an opinion on which is more appropriate.

Perry