Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/24/1995 17:59:30
> What if you need to run a script between S49blowfish and S50oracle?

S49[c-z]* will all be run before S50*
Of course there is no law that says you can't use S100foo, and it
would propably be a good idea.

> /etc/init.d are really obscure.   I don't think you really can tell
> what order things start up in by doing an ls on /etc/rc*.d.
> Certainly my experience with IRIX tells me you can't.   I had to read

Really?  /bin/ls -1 /etc/rc.d/S* should be pretty close.  After all,
that's almost exactly what rcN does (it actually does for f in S*)

> 	(3) security weenies.

Not really.  A more common issue is to dissable some feature on
several boxes.  It is much easier (having worked it out once) to
simply rm -f /etc/rc.d/S*foo, than have to sed /etc/rc.local.

Of course, when building bastions, one just as often totally replaces
/etc/rc* anyway.

--sjg