Subject: Re: Initial installation of NetBSD
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1995 11:35:32
"Michael Graff" writes:
> >The problem with having the miniroot installed in swap is the same
> >problem from which StunOS suffers now:  You can't then change the
> >size of the root partition.  (I'm applying this to the i386 port as
> >there currently is no choice under the SPARC port.)
>
> I was assuming the partitions would be set up already, and all that
> needed to be done was to load the binaries and such on the root and
> usr partitions.

Thats the way it is usually done, but it means that you have to make
decisions about how large to make your partitions at a stage in the
game when you probably have a pretty poor user interface and poor
information on how large all your packages will be. Dunno if thats the
best way to do it.

Is there any way we could rig things so that the miniroot is sitting
off on the end of the disk and somehow gets protected or magically
moved at an appropriate moment?

Perry