Subject: Re: C Language Standard(s)
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 11:29:15
> No, I meant exactly what I typed.   Read the standard.  Unless I'm
> completely misremembering, it is indeed permissible for sizeof (int)
> to be 64 and sizeof (long) to be 32.

I would be very surprised if this interpretation is legal.
If a `long int' is *allowed* to be shorter than a plain
`int' (or worse, a `short int') it can only be due to
sloppy wording of the standard.  It runs counter to the
intent of the `long' and `short' qualifiers.  ``Members
of the jury, use your Common Sense''!

On a somewhat related note, you guys should read the ANSI C
Rationale document to see what is meant by the `spirit of
C'.  See http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/rat/title.html