Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 12:43:18
[ On Tue, December 19, 1995 at 00:14:23 (-0800), Ted Lemon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
>
> You're right.   The /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic.
> Unfortunately, the /etc/init.d method is even worse.   I've had to
> maintain both kinds of systems, and I prefer /etc/rc.local, even if it
> is crufty.   I would like to see a *good* solution to the problem, but
> I don't believe that /etc/init.d is it.

Perhaps you haven't administered several hundred or more machines with a
wide variety of hardware and software configurations simultaneously.

/etc/init.d *is* the best know solution to this problem.  Perhaps it
would be better to put the scripts in /sbin or where-ever...

Until you'ved tackled a network with more systems and configuration
options than the average human memory can encompass, you cannot truely
appreciate the elegance of /etc/init.d and indeed /etc/inittab.

Next, just to ensure you really do appreciate this stuff, write a 7x24
lights out management system that needs to hook into all this mess and
control it from far away.

AT&T built this scheme out of necessity, not because they had a bunch of
grad students sitting around with nothing better to do....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>