Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@oban.dssc.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 08:16:43
> If you folks really think that the ordering problem _is_ a problem in
> normal use, then provide a tool that people can use to solve it.  but
> don't say that that tool _has_ to be used, and don't encourage use of
> that tool on a normal basis.
>
> I don't want to even take the _chance_ that installing JoeBob's
> package to potentially reorder all of my rc scripts, since it had some
> bogus dependencies.
>
> chris

I agree with these comments. If your program is that dependent on
the order of when joebob's program is started, you need to fix your
program and not depend on further complicating the system startup
process.

This is exactly why I hat the SysV model, because when there is
a problem in this area, finding the problem, making the order change,
and forcing the system not to screw up the order change is a losing
battle.