Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1995 00:34:43
> > 	Cons:
> > 		- It does not allow programs to run inbetwixt other
> > 		  parts of the system startup  (How many products
> > 		  really need this?)
>
> That's my thought exactly.  If you are hacking Kerberos into NetBSD, you
> are not a clueless admin.  You can edit /etc/rc with your eyes closed.

This is true.

The you send out mail to all of the people for whom you provide
standardized software saying:

"if you want to install kerberos, add the following lines to /etc/rc
after this one daemon is started but before these others.  To
de-install kerberos, remove those lines from /etc/rc.  Also, copy
these other files to /etc.  Be sure to save a backup copy of /etc/rc,
in case you screw up, and here's my 24-hour pager number in case you
have any problems."

I think saying:

"if you want to install kerberos, copy this file to
/etc/rc.d/SNNkerberos and these others to /etc.  to deinstall
kerberos, remove /etc/rc.d/SNNkerberos."

is much easier and far more reliable, for all involved.

chris