Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: None <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 19:54:57
>>>>> "Tobias" == Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA> writes:

Tobias> On Tuesday, December 19, Niklas Hallqvist wrote:
Luke> How do other people like this concept? I'm willing to go through
Luke> and fix up /etc/rc* et. al if this sounds usable by enough
Luke> people.
>>  I agree it's a lot better than what we have today.  And it *is*
>> orthogonal to whatever startup system we use, rc or init.d.  I
>> believe OSF/1 uses exactly this with /sbin/init.d as the startup
>> method.  It localizes the configurable parameter in a clean way.
>> Go for it!

Tobias> Ok, I am late responding to this, but I have to...

Tobias> ARE YOU *NUTS*!?!?!  The *ONE* thing I hate in OSF/1 is that
Tobias> config information is in /sbin/init.d/.  A directory in a
Tobias> place only binaries were meant to be.

Point missed.  We were not talking about placement in the
filesystem.  The point was of course to separate configuration
parameters from the code that uses them.  If they are not separated
upgrades of scripts are tedious and have to be done by someone knowing
shell scripts.  I guess that's why many of us sit with /etc scripts
from last year or so...  Well, Matt had the solution to that, use CVS
for /etc and make branch tags for each machine.  But that's a solution
for us who use CVS.

And please... I AM NOT *NUTS*, please try to keep the flames a bit
softer.  Personal attacks are not the way to make one's point.
Especially when there is a risk of not having grasped the issue at
hand.  I think the old netiquette document I was confronted with 10
years ago said something like: "if you just *have* to flame someone,
please wait another day, and read the thread again, before going
further".

BTW I do apologize for not having provided enough context info in my
message.  The original message I followed up to was:

Niklas

PS in what way does OSF/1 keep this config info in /sbin/init.d?  I
   thought it was in /etc/rc.conf?  If it is in /sbin, I agree with you
   on that point.

Niklas Hallqvist       Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 95
Applitron Datasystem   Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50  Home: +46-(0)31-41 93 96
Molndalsvagen 95       Email: niklas@appli.se     GSM:  +46-(0)70-714 10 35
S-412 63  GOTEBORG     WWW:   Here
Sweden		       IRC:   niklas (#NetBSD)    ICB:  niklas (netbsd)