Subject: A Modest Proposal
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 12:50:05
Well, given that the traffic on this list has increased thousandfold in
the past week or so (what, did you all suddenly find some magical Extra
Free Time?) and -NONE- of it has much to do with -current functionality
directly (I pity the poor users who just want to figure out how the thing
works), I present the following alternate list proposals:

whinge@netbsd.org
-----------------
"SysV: Tool of the Devil or the Devil Incarnate?"
"Pointers Who Dress Up as Long Longs to Pick Up Women"
"1,000 Points of Runlevel"
"If SysV is a Tool of the Devil, Could That Daemon Guy be a Spy?"
"Pointers to NULL - Portals to Other Universes?"

...Okay, maybe not. Serious proposal, tho--

speculate@netbsd.org (flagpole@netbsd.org? I kinda like that.) 8)
"NetBSD Will be DOOMED to Failure Unless You All Follow MY Suggestions
 Right Now! Bow Down Before My Wisdom, Mere Mortal!!!"
	....ahem. Think I got carried away.

Far be it from me to be a FAQ-monger (hate those guys), but the
description for "current-users" on the webpage says that it is a
"forum for all people using [current]... a good place for taking
about 'gotchas' in the tree." While the discussions currently going
on certainly fit into the 'forum' idea, I think they get in the way
of part (b) of that description.

(Anyone who thinks the /etc/rc* system is a 'gotcha' has _FAR_ too high
an opinon of their own ideas.)

Having a separate list to talk about design changes would remove a lot
of that clutter, and still allow those interested in talks about far-
reaching changes to discuss them in an open forum. (An even better forum,
filled with people who share their interests (if not their ideas) and
devoid of whiners like me who want to make them go away.)  8)

...Well, i'm unsubscribing for three weeks while I go on break (*NO*
net connection! AAAGH!), so I don't care what happens. I'm sure the
convos will have quieted down before I get back. But I'm following the
old adage, 'If you were thinking it, you can be sure there were plenty
of other people thinking it.'

						Happy Holidays,
						  -Frank

P.S> One more list suggestion that was brought up a while ago--it would
     be nice to have a mirrors@netbsd.org to discuss the status, exist-
     ence, and services provided by the various mirror sites.

--
 ____ PRI | Frank R. Dana Jr.|Tau Epsilon Phi|email:danaf@cs.rpi.edu | _ _