Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1995 12:58:55
On Dec 19,  6:44pm, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
>
> > I don't see how it causes problems for humans.  If you want to modify
> > the startup of foo, you edit /etc/init.d/foo.  That seems easier to me
> > than editing one massive file.
>
> The problem is that the startup for foo is rarely called
> /etc/init.d/foo.   Usually if you know all the facts, the names make
> sense, but if you're trying to figure out what's going on, they don't.

Just a random thought - how about as well as supporting start|stop args each
script must support a help arg. Hence if you want to know what /etc/init.d/foo
does you type '/etc/init.d/foo help'. We could also have a script which loops
through each file in turn grepping its help for keywords to give an apropos
style facility.

Cheers

Rob