Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 23:29:33
> The problem is that the startup for foo is rarely called
> /etc/init.d/foo.   Usually if you know all the facts, the names make
> sense, but if you're trying to figure out what's going on, they don't.

This is the stickler.  I have seen this abused (badly) and I have seen
it used fairly well.  One of the primary arguments for /etc/init.d/*
is for 3rd party packages.  One of the primary arguments against it is
the complication of the boot process.

Proposal:
	Modify /etc/rc to execute scripts/programs in /etc/init.d/* in
		sorted order--but don't use this for anything within
		the core NetBSD system.
	Pros:
		- It allows easy, standard addition of startup scripts
		  for 3rd-party or even local programs
		- It is simple
		- It does not significantly change existing behavior
		- ???
	Cons:
		- It does not allow programs to run inbetwixt other
		  parts of the system startup  (How many products
		  really need this?)
		- It makes no provision for handling the running of
		  shutdown scripts of any kind
		- ???

I _really_ like the idea of an /etc/rc.conf or something similar.  I
find it somewhat annoying to have to modify a system script to make a
configuration change.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **