Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Todd Kover <kovert@umiacs.umd.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 12:57:15
> > /etc/config/pkg/{start,config,setup,setup.tk}
> >
> > where pkg is the name of the package,
> > start will kick the package to get it going,
> > config is a sample config file for it,
> > setup is a shell script to make a config file,
> > setup.tk is a tk stub for a GUI-ish setup system.

>That's a bit overly complex, IMHO, and I'd imagine that it'd a pretty
>decent setup for the standard distribution, but as soon as outside
>stuff gets added to a system, you'll end up with most of those things
>just not being there, so any tools that were built up on the idea would
>be only half useful since most of the added on things wouldn't have
>config/setup.tk/setup, etc.

That's the advantage.  If something isn't needed, it doesn't have to
be there.  If the setup.tk isn't there, the tk config tool just
doesn't set that package up nicely.  :)

>have /etc/rc source in /etc/rc.config (or something) that goes through
>and sets up environment variables describing the configuration, then
>have it iterate through scripts in /sbin/startupscripts/*m, letting the
>scripts decide if they should run or not based on the environment
>variables set.  Have some similar process for shutdown with
>/sbin/shutdownscripts that get called if you use shutdown to shutdown
>the machine.

No, I think the config files need to be split up as well, and stored
in a directory with the startup script.  That way it is just a
directory rather than multiple directory thing.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!