Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 12:31:24
>What do I think?  I hate it.  I'm going to continue using /etc/rc and
>/etc/rc.local, even if it means hacking on init.  And if NetBSD makes
>it sufficiently difficult for me to continue to use /etc/rc and
>/etc/rc.local, I'm going to go looking for another OS.  I maintain SGI
>machines at work; I've tangled with SysV-style system startup and
>shutdown; this opinion was not formed in a vacuum.

Oh, stop with the threats.  This should be a discussion, not a fight.

There is no reason you can't still use /etc/rc.local -- just have that
called from one of the ``startup'' scripts.  You don't need to loose
what we have to make things, imho, better.

The /etc/rc.local works for me.  It works for you.  The point here is
that it is NOT simple to add off the net tools, and it is even less
easy to remove them.

I would not loose the old method, but surely you can see the advantage
of having seperate files...  I would rather have commercial apps munge
their own files, NOT mine.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!