Subject: Re: C Language Standard(s)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 13:22:59
>> How much code would we *really* break if we moved long to 64 bit, and
>> eventually obsolesced long long?  IMHO, everything in C should pass
>> -pedantic -Wall.  (It's fine with me if it's system specific, especially
>> in the kernel, but I think a bit of pedantry could help.)

>A lot.  You'd also slow things down a lot on 32-bit platforms.  I
>don't really see why this would be a good thing.

Well, it depends - why would we use long when we don't need it?  :)

I think it would be a good thing, because it would make it possible for us
to use -pedantic -W -Wall on the headers.  :)

It would just be nice if we could write code just using the
standard types, IMHO.

Admittedly, a lot of work, with some performance work to do.  But
possibly worth looking at.

-s