Subject: Re: C Language Standard(s)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 09:56:23
On Tue, 19 Dec 1995 06:53:29 -0600
 Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> wrote:

 > How much code would we *really* break if we moved long to 64 bit, and
 > eventually obsolesced long long?  IMHO, everything in C should pass
 > -pedantic -Wall.  (It's fine with me if it's system specific, especially
 > in the kernel, but I think a bit of pedantry could help.)

"A lot."  In order for 32-bit and 64-bit code to live together in the
Grand Scheme Of Things, NetBSD currently assumes that a pointer and long
are the same size (i.e. pointers are often cast to longs).

I can only imagine what would happen if we made that change and then
started having to conditionally #ifdef code to cast pointers to longs on
the alpha and ints everywhere else.