Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@altair.helios.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 09:28:13
> > > I really think the /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic, and
> > > each package SHOULD have its own startup/shutdown script.
> >
> > You're right.   The /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic.
> > Unfortunately, the /etc/init.d method is even worse.
>
> OK, so what's _wrong_ with it?

	It's against many people's personal religeon to practice /etc/init.d
	or anything remotely related to procedures/methods/practices of
	that BSD anti-christ: System V.

	The Luddite's feel to violate the sanctity of the /etc/rc* tangled
	web is pure BSD blasphomy. It would also make it WAY too easy
	to manage software package start/stop scripts; heaven forbid
	BSD should make it easy to manage software packages...

	Besides, the TRUE BSD WAY(tm) would be to re-invent something rather
	than use something developed for/by the BSD anti-christ: System V.

	In case you can't tell, I've been suffering from BSD induced
	rc*-itis for about 10 years now... That, and tar extract/install
	methods with long manual install procedures that are the norm in
	BSD OS's and inconsistant from one package to another. Heaven forbid
	we should be able to cleanly install/deinstall software just by
	running one or two commands like some EVIL OS I could mention...

	End of irritated spouting,

		-Rob