Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 06:36:20
> What do people think about an /etc/init.d/ file,

/etc/init.d/ is usually a directory, but aside from that....

What do I think?  I hate it.  I'm going to continue using /etc/rc and
/etc/rc.local, even if it means hacking on init.  And if NetBSD makes
it sufficiently difficult for me to continue to use /etc/rc and
/etc/rc.local, I'm going to go looking for another OS.  I maintain SGI
machines at work; I've tangled with SysV-style system startup and
shutdown; this opinion was not formed in a vacuum.

If you want the /etc/init.d/ style, drop a for i in `ls -1 /etc/init.d`
loop into /etc/rc.local or something and be done with it.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu