Subject: C Language Standard(s)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 09:24:36
Is there any "official" decision about the use of ISO/ANSI standard C
in NetBSD?

Not knowing about previous discussions (possibly flame wars) of this
theme, I tend to recommend that new code is written according to Standard
C and that current code should be converted to standard C when revisions
are done to various source files.

This could be applied to the kernel as well as to the user mode
applications, and as we use gcc, we already have the compiler tools to do
this.

One thing that we could start doing is to move multiple external
declarations of the same functions and variables from the .c source files
using them to header files, to guarantee that the same declaration is used
everywhere. When doing this I recommend using real prototypes instead of
K&R function declarations.

I am aware of the fact that this is actually a non-negligible amount of
work to do this, but if the principle is nailed down, we may start a slow
but determined conversion of the NetBSD code to Standard C.

regards
Erik Bertelsen
UNI-C