Subject: Re: shutdown/wall messages
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 16:50:27
Perry E. Metzger writes:
> "craig" == "Craig M. Chase"
craig> I'm using NetBSD on my file server (Pentium-100, works great).
craig> However, when I do need to shutdown, the wall messages are sent only
craig> to local users (people logged directly into orac).

craig> Is it possible to have the shutdown messages forwarded to all machines
craig> who NFS mount my filesystems?  I think the SunOS shutdown did this
craig> (perhaps the only thing about SunOS that I miss).

> You can use rwall for this application, though our shutdown doesn't do
> it automatically. However, you *can* write a script to perform the
> task very easily -- the machines mounting your system are easy to find
> out...

Yes, leave it as is, and let the local site put a script in.

One of my biggest piss-offs about our large Solaris NFS servers (*)
is that they spend ages trying to rwall 100 dataless clients that are
currently shutdown with an "i'm going down" message. We solve this with
	rm /usr/sbin/rwall;
	cp -p /bin/true /usr/sbin/rwall

What is even more annoying is that even with /etc/rc.*d/* scripts, the
rwall is compiled *into* the shutdown binary. *grr*

Luke.

(*) Besides, of course, the inability for Sun (who *designed* NFS and
    crow about that they're the best people who do networking) to get
    lockd working. We're yet to get Solaris 2.5 (which apparantly
    fixes lockd), but for some reason our Sun salesperson won't take
    up our offer of "if we break lockd in < 1 week, we get a free
    ultrasparc". Reeks of confidence, no?  (Mind you, I suspect that
    no-one else has got a truely working lockd either)
PS: you ever wonder why the only part of NFS they didn't release
    the source for was lockd? Maybe they were embarrassed :-)

IMHO only.

--
Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>
"This is the central trick of the censor: to exaggerate the importance of the