Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1995 00:14:23
> I really think the /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic, and
> each package SHOULD have its own startup/shutdown script.

You're right.   The /etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic.
Unfortunately, the /etc/init.d method is even worse.   I've had to
maintain both kinds of systems, and I prefer /etc/rc.local, even if it
is crufty.   I would like to see a *good* solution to the problem, but
I don't believe that /etc/init.d is it.

...and yes, I do currently administer a system running with a
/etc/init.d.   In many other ways, IRIX is quite nice.

			       _MelloN_