Subject: Re: Updating /etc...
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1995 23:23:24
>> When do we normally update files in /etc?
>When we want to? Seriously, its all totally up to you...

I know this issue was brought up about 6 months ago, and I have read
through the logs, but I believe it is time to discuss it again.

What do people think about an /etc/init.d/ file, either with or
without run levels?  I think run levels are mostly useless, but others
will certainly disagree.  I would consider writing an /etc/init.d
startup method if there was interest.  I really think the
/etc/rc.local method is just plain archaic, and each package SHOULD
have its own startup/shutdown script.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>        NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!