Subject: Re: Build troubles...
To: None <seebs@solon.com>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1995 10:23:56
>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com> writes:

Peter> Has anyone been able to build a .so for anything with a static
Peter> function call?  I get t.s:21: Error: "instruction/operands
Peter> mismatch" -- Statement 'jbsr ___main,a1' ignored

Peter> (This is 68k.)  This is with new gcc/new gas.

Peter> New gas won't build unless you replace "(unsigned) -1" with
Peter> "(unsigned short) -1".

I really should get the new gas and compile the kernel, I see.  If you
could setup a list of all the problems you see with new gas and either
mail it to me (I have all your mail in my ~2000K-msg mailbox, so I
could hunt them up separately, but I'd like a single message), or put
it up on WWW somewhere (that way I could get the latest problems when
I attack the problems).

BTW the above syntax is of SunOS "as" ancestry, and has not been
needed in gas recently (ever?).  It has to do with PIC-code
generation.  I'd guess, if you want to get further, that you can
remove the ",a1" from the relevant parts of m68k.c in GCC, and get it
to work.  I've done this before in one point of time, but wanted to
keep backward SunOS compatibility so I kept it there after
understanding the rationale about it being there.  Possibly I should
make GCC not generate this when configured --with-gnu-as.

OK, bye for now...

Niklas