Subject: Re: Motif and multiple platforms
To: None <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
From: Erik M. Theisen <etheisen@teclink.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1995 23:59:35
>Just a thought, but I think the only solution to the problem of Motif
>on the different hardware platforms is to have a Motif source licence
>as a resource of the NetBSD project.

That's an excelent idea.  Best Motif thought I've heard of, so far.

>And to have a person or a group that compiles and delivers binaries on
>request to people who will pay for individual binary licence. To get
>the idea working, the maintainers could not take more than a nominal
>fee for the compilation. I think the money for the source licence will
>be a bigger problem than finding volunteers for compilation.

Hey, I'll maintain it.  Let's charge an honest amount for binary distributions.
The money could be donated back into the NetBSD project. Don't forget OSF's
royalties though.

The fee for source license is not as much as one would think.  Especially if we
could get 100 people to contrib a small amount.

>A central problem is to choose a site with multiple NetBSD platforms.
>I bet the Motif source licence doesn't allow the maintainer to send a
>tape to the holder of an exotic machine, compile there and delete the
>source afterwards. Even if it did, I wouldn't trust random NetBSD
>users not to snarf the source.

There are people on this project that have a large number of machines at their
disposal. Shouldn't be an issue.

P.S. Who's going to play cashier.  $$$ :-)

erik