Subject: Re: Status of ATAPI driver developments
To: George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1995 03:01:24
In message <199512132206.JAA21495@koromiko.off.connect.com.au>,
	George Michaelson writes:
>Could some of the kind souls looking into atapi CD-ROM support
>give me some encouragement? I'm looking wistfully at FreeBSD's
>atapi.[ch] and matching wcd.c but the thought of trying to frob
>them into NetBSD is not a happy one. I seem to recall seeing
>indications of a native driver being worked on...

There have been several people in the last few months talking about working
on ATAPI.  I wasn't paying much attention at the time, though.

At this point, lots of other OS' are supporting ATAPI.  Linux has, for
a very long time.  FreeBSD does, I guess.  Even Plan9 supports ATAPI.
One would think it would be more of a priority with the central developers
of NetBSD, since so very many PeeCees are now shipping with ATAPI CDROMs,
and the lack of support *severely* limits those people's installation
options.

--
Jason Downs
downsj@teeny.org  --> teeny.org: Free Software for a Free Internet <--