Subject: Re: is SUP running now, or is my networking broken?
To: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
From: Todd C. Miller <Todd.Miller@cs.colorado.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/14/1995 13:29:24
In message <199512132246.JAA17904@dynamo.mame.mu.OZ.AU>
	so spake matthew green (mrg):

> i would say the same, but, i've been having the exact same problem
> recently, repeatedly:
>
> SUP Updating file src/distrib/notes/sun3/upgrade
> SUP Updating file src/distrib/notes/sun3/whatis
> SUP Updating file src/distrib/notes/sun3/xfer
> SUP: Read error on network: Connection reset by peer
> SUP: Premature EOF on network input
> SUP: Network write timed out
> SUP: Error receiving file from file server
> SUP: Upgrade of current-src aborted at Dec 14 00:45:50 1995
> SUP: Network write timed out
> SUP: Aborted
>
> is the latest one.  my sup file says:
>
> current release=src host=sup.netbsd.org. hostbase=/a/anon_ftp base=/usr prefi
> x=/orb/q/src use-rel-suffix delete compress
>
> (hasn't changed for a *long* time).
>

> i don't think it's a network problem cuz i was able to maintain a
> shell to said host the entire time (with the frequent return to
> ensure that the connection was alive).

I don't even get that far.  The connection is reset before anything
is sup'd.  I had similar problems downloading the initial 1.1
distribution.  I eventually gave up and grabbed from a mirror once
they were updated.  I don't see any US sup mirrors in the MIRRORS
file.

My supfile follows (I've tried w/ and w/o compress but there is no diff).

current release=allsrc host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/a/anon_ftp base=/usr prefix=/usr backup compress use-rel-suffix
current release=security host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/a/anon_ftp base=/usr prefix=/usr backup compress use-rel-suffix
current release=doc host=sup.NetBSD.ORG hostbase=/a/anon_ftp base=/usr prefix=/usr backup compress use-rel-suffix

I did get some data the first time I tried to sup when -current
became post-1.1 but that was over a week ago.

 - todd