Subject: paritioning info
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1995 12:38:03
I've got a new scsi drive (connected to one of the ill mannered ncr
controllers, which I've not yet had any problems with).  While I've
hacked out a disktab to make certain all is well, I'm not quite
certain how I should lay out my filesystem apart from / and swap.
This is primarily a single user machine.  I expect to nfs export
/usr/local.  I keep a /usr/src and may nfs export it.

Should /var be part of /?  I think I've done that in the past because
the startup scripts want to write to /var before they mount filesystems.
But then /var/tmp is restricted in size.

Should /usr/src and /usr/obj be kept seperate from /usr space?  Is there
anything that can be said about mixing mostly static fs with high use
(/usr/people) fs?

Thanks.  -john