Subject: Re: SUP changeover?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/1995 10:51:05
> When 1.0 came out, Chris did a Very Nice Thing.  He warned sup users
> a week in advance of when the sup tree would change from the 1.0
> release back to the -current release, so one could either stop
> sup'ping or else know when to move one's /usr/src tree out of the
> way (I'm using /usr/src/1.0 for my 1.0 src tree) and get a new
> /usr/src tree ready for -current.

Part of the problem is that there wasn't a process manual I could pick
up when I became release engineer.  There were several things that
should have been done that weren't this go around because of this.
Note that although I'll still be the release engineer for 1.2 (and
1.3, and ...) I have started to write the processes down so that I
(or my eventual successor) won't forget them.

However, in this case the -current sup set is still 1.1.  There have
been minor changes to the distrib directory (a final pass on the
install notes) since the 1.1 sources were tagged and put up, but
you can pretty much consider them 1.1 sources.

I plan on making an announcement for the cutover sometime next week,
after the changes on the release branch are all folded into the trunk
and after folks have had a chance to update their sources via sup.

> I just checked on ftp.NetBSD.ORG and found the 1.1 src tarballs
> dated Nov. 26th but the -current src tarballs dated Nov. 28th.

And today they'll be dated Nov. 29th.  The tarballs are still being
generated every day, so even when there are no changes the dates are
updated.

	--jtc