Subject: persistent/restorable unix procs?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Travis Hassloch <travis@evtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/28/1995 17:12:39
Has anyone done any work on (or looking into) how one might dump a process's
state to disk & restore it, assuming it's a cooperating process?
E.G. maybe you have a process that wants to save itself on purpose.
To make it harder, how about an uncooperative process?

Is this possible under stock Unix (specifically, stock NetBSD)?

I know there are some issues regarding shared code segments...
Probably a lot more issues regarding stuff that isn't exactly in it's
address space...  I'm wondering if someone has attacked this thing already.
  ...it's just something I've been musing over w.r.t rollbacks and/or
     window manager "sessions"...

CC me in replies, thanks....

PS: when one process forces another to rollback, it is said to wound it
   (acc. to Silberschatz)... is that pronounced "wownd" or "woond"?
--
travis@evtech.com | P=NP if N=1 | Trazavis Hazassloch (LUK-sher-EE YOT)
``My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces