Subject: persistent/restorable unix procs?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Travis Hassloch <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/28/1995 17:12:39
Has anyone done any work on (or looking into) how one might dump a process's
state to disk & restore it, assuming it's a cooperating process?
E.G. maybe you have a process that wants to save itself on purpose.
To make it harder, how about an uncooperative process?

Is this possible under stock Unix (specifically, stock NetBSD)?

I know there are some issues regarding shared code segments...
Probably a lot more issues regarding stuff that isn't exactly in it's
address space...  I'm wondering if someone has attacked this thing already.'s just something I've been musing over w.r.t rollbacks and/or
     window manager "sessions"...

CC me in replies, thanks....

PS: when one process forces another to rollback, it is said to wound it
   (acc. to Silberschatz)... is that pronounced "wownd" or "woond"?
-- | P=NP if N=1 | Trazavis Hazassloch (LUK-sher-EE YOT)
``My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces
  of existence.'' -- Sir A.C. Doyle, "The Red-Headed League"