Subject: Re: gdb problems - bugs
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/27/1995 03:58:37
> I have been trying to patch a kernel variable in /netbsd (si_options) with
> gdb, to no avail. I finally found my problem: if you start gdb normally,
> and "set write on", it doesn't work. However, if you start gdb with
> "-write" on the command line, it does work. Now I feel much less stupid;
> like Han Solo, "it's not my fault!"

File: gdb.info,  Node: Patching,  Prev: Calling,  Up: Altering

Patching programs
=================
[...]
`set write on'
`set write off'
     If you specify `set write on', GDB opens executable and core files
     for both reading and writing; if you specify `set write off' (the
     default), GDB opens them read-only.

---> If you have already loaded a file,
---> the `exec-file' or `core-file' command) after changing `set
---> write', for your new setting to take effect.

--jhawk@panix.com
  John Hawkinson