Subject: NetBSD conundrums
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/25/1995 12:17:07
   From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>

   (1) As far as I knew, the only way to upgrade from 1.0 to -current was to
       follow a carefully-crafted set of precise instructions often posted here
       by Alistair.  Yet I continue to see postings from people saying "I did a
       `make build' and ... ".  Howzat?

   (2) I see from postings that we're at "1.1 ALPHA", but then I see things like
       "1.1 will be released by the end of the week".  Uh ... guys?  I coulda
       sworn that "1.1 BETA" came before "1.1 FCS" (or "1.1 final", or whatever
       you feel like calling it).  What gives?

   Confused in user land,

If you picked up the NetBSD sources by grabbing the tarballs (as I did), you
don't get a Makefile for the top source directory.  You need to get it from
the source tree.  (It only took me 3 months to figure this out.)