Subject: Re: NetBSD conundrums
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1995 01:08:31
blymn@awadi.com.au (Brett Lymn) writes:

>According to Greg Earle:

>>(1) As far as I knew, the only way to upgrade from 1.0 to -current was to
>>    follow a carefully-crafted set of precise instructions often posted here
>>    by Alistair.  Yet I continue to see postings from people saying "I did a
>>    `make build' and ... ".  Howzat?

>Ummm I don't know if the instructions were out of date or what but the
>copy I had did have some things in the wrong order which caused me
>some grief going from NetBSD 0.9 to `current.  Alistair/anybody can
>you send me a copy of the instructions???

I think when some people hear the word "upgrade", they just assume a
source-and-compile upgrade.  IMHO, it's foolish and time-wasthing to
even attempt such a thing this late in the game.

I just grab a source *and* binary snapshot, untar the complete
sources, install a new kernel and binaries, build a new custom kernel,
and, ta-da, I have a fully functional "current" machine.  (Of course,
there's a reboot or two in there.)

Doing a source-and-compile upgrade more than six months into
development of a next release is just pure masochism in my book.  Just
too many things change.

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...