Subject: Re: boot loader blues
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1995 11:09:47
> - ufs_open() tries to read the superblock first and reads sectors
>   16..31 (the floppy is formated with 512 byte sectors).  It decides
>   that the superblock is valid, good.

> - Next, ufs_open wants the root inode and reads sectors 64..79, the
>   fifth block in the filesystem.  I'm not at all familiar with ffs,
>   so the question is: is this OK?  Is the root inode normally located
>   on the 5th block?

Yes, it's OK.  The root inode is inode number 2, which is found in the
sectors you describe.

> -  Next, ufs_open checks the mode of the root inode, and finds that
>    the IFDIR bit is not set. In fact di_mode is zero!?

Weird.

>    If the answer to my previous question is yes, then I haven't got a
>    clue what's going on here.  The ffs on the floppy is ok when
>    mounted under NetBSD.  Any suggestions you may have are welcome.

I don't know what's going on.  I have a number of tools that might
help; I can send them to you, or if you want to send an image of the
floppy to me I'll be glad to see what I can tell from it.  Drop me a
line and we can set up a transfer.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu