Subject: Re: lkm problems...
To: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/1995 08:51:27
> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 02:26:51 -0500
> From: Frank Dana <danaf@cs.rpi.edu>
>
> The only problem I had, other than needing to hack the code a little, is
> that I _could_not_ do the modload from within multi-user mode. Even su'd
> to root on the console, I got an erro from modload that it "could not
> allocate memory: Operation mnot permitted." after which it did an exit(9);
>
> The only way I could get the module to load was to drop down to single
> user mode. Dropping out of kernel security did the trick.

Yah, you've pretty much identified the cause of your difficulties.

Some time ago, the code was changed to prohibit LKM loading once
securelevel has been raised. It was a large security hole to allow it
- someone can load an LKM that does essentially anything, including
lowering securelevel again.

You either need to accept this and make sure you load what you need
before going multiuser, or you need to disable the raising of
securelevel. If you want this, you can put "options INSECURE" in your
kernel config.

--
Dan.