Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1995 15:35:46
#define AUTHOR "mike.long@analog.com (Mike Long)"

/*
 * How about looking at it from the other direction?  Run a tool from
 * rc||rc.local||* (before 'mount -a', of course) that reads the
 * superblock from every FFS partition on the system, examines the last
 * mount point for each of them, and regenerates /etc/fstab
 * appropriately.
 *
 * I can hear you all now: "Ick!" :-)

Well, okay, Mike, I won't disappoint you. :-)

Ick!

That sounds slick, but what if you've just finished an installation and
the partition of /usr was last mounted on /a/usr, /usr/src was last
mounted on /a/usr/src, /var was last mounted on /a/var, &c.?

Besides, I don't want something automagically regenerating my fstab for
me from the rc scripts.  It's bound to eventually be too smart for its
own good.  I could just see it now wiping out all my mfs/nfs/*fs mounts!

 * --
 * Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>           http://www.shore.net/~mikel
 * VLSI Design Engineer         finger mikel@shore.net for PGP public key
 * Analog Devices, CPD Division          CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B
 * Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mike.long@analog.com (Mike Long)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
Humanocentric religions and ways of life have proven to be our undoing.