Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1995 08:11:52
> An alternative would be to include a "hi, I think I belong at
> /dev/sd4N" tag in the disk label but I suspect that would be rather
> messy to code reliably..

We had exactly that in our disk system at KSR (with plans for thousands
of disks which might move around on a whim, it was essential to be able
to enable disks to explain where they belonged, rather than editing a
very large /etc/fstab regularly).  It wasn't terribly complicated, though;
the hardest part was the dynamic reconfiguration capability (how to assign
disks to device nodes with the system up, how to change those assignments
if necessary, etc.).