Subject: Re: fine-tunable swap (was Re: Drive numbering...)
To: Phil Knaack <>
From: Open Carefully -- Contents Under Pressure <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1995 09:39:57
I've suddenly seen the issue of swap come up (again).  I think this was
one of those things about SVRx that actually impressed me when it was
working (in development I can't even count how many crashes I could cause
by saying 'swap -d $DEVICE' :-).  Dynamically tunable swap would be
*really* nice.

The ability to swap to a file is nice, too.  It would be even nicer
if one did not have to declare a vnd in order to achieve this.

For example, StunOS was able to achieve swapping to a file without much

Combine the two thoughts, and you have a fine-tunable paging system.
It would certainly be nice to have the ability to establish how much
swap you *really* need (and how little you can get away with), instead
of doing the 'by guess and by golly' method of 1:1.1 physmem:swap.

In addition, although one can add swap in the case of extreme temporary
activity, to be able to delete swap (without rebooting) would be nice
to be able to do.

Microsoft Windows NT -- "What a totally excellent discovery...NOT!"