Subject: Recovering & Tape stuff
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@cs.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1995 09:20:39
1) I wrote a tar to tape (very big)
2) The tape got rewound
3) I accidentally _wrote_ an empty tar file to the beginning of the tape

Is there any way to read the old tar file?
Every time I try to "fsf" over the EOF after the first tarfile,
I get this error:
Nov 16 09:14:58 localhost /netbsd: st0(aha0:4:0): no data found, requested size: 1 (decimal), data = 00 00 00 00 00 00 34 17 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 15 00

Also, in an unrelated issue, when I tried to restore from old dump tapes
I got some error similar to this:
Error: tape block size (512) is not a multiple of dump block size (1024)

What is going on?  Tape handling is so difficult to understand unless you
are only doing very standard stuff (i.e. one tar-file per tape, etc).

Any pointers to a description of how the tape handling works under Unix
would be greatly appreciated.  mt(8) just doesn't cut it.
--
email: vax@cs.utexas.edu
Existential void where prohibited.  PGP key at a keyserver near you.  Fnord