Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1995 10:42:16
According to Scott Reynolds:

>I'd just like to add a comment to Chris' with regard to hard-wiring SCSI
>targets to devices... it would be painful to do this for installations.
>Sure, you can ask the user where to put things, but if it can be avoided
>you're going to be better off in the long run.

Dunno if this has been said before but what is wrong with just using
sdn where n is the SCSI id of the device?  If you have more than one
scsi bus then the next bus is n+8.  I found it very disconcerting when
adding a new drive to my scsi chain that I had an sd1 instead of the
sd3 that I expected to get.  The worst case scenario I can think of
off the top of my head is that you have /usr on a separate disk and
you lose a disk in the scsi chain, suddenly your /usr is not mounted.
Sure you can manually mount it and fix up the fstab but that is
stuffing around that could be avoided.

"It's fifteen hundred miles to Ankh-Morpork" he said.  "We've got
three hundred and sixty three elephants, fifty carts of forage, the
monsoon's about to break and we're wearing ... we're wearing ... sort
of things, like glass, only dark... dark glass things on our eyes..."
        - Terry Pratchett "Moving Pictures".