Subject: Re: Drive Numbering...
To: None <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@sj.xenotropic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 23:15:43
On Wed, 15 Nov 1995 21:38:07 -0500
 dgilbert@pci.on.ca wrote:

 > To add another thing that I have see to the fray... Some systems have
 > a /dev/root which is good for the GENERIC case... beyond that... they
 > have the more specific SCSI devices.  It might take some work, but
 > having a fixed name for 90% of the configs... would make things
 > simpler for most people.

Yah, HP-UX has a /dev/root and a /dev/rroot ... This is basically a way
to reference what we handle as "root_device" in the filesystem.  I
imagine HP did it just in case your /etc/fstab is a CDF or is
misconfigured; but, who knows...

It should be pretty trivial to implement in NetBSD, but I'm not sure I
see the obvious benefit...

Jason R. Thorpe                                         thorpej@Xenotropic.COM

           Just me and my collection of obsolete computer gear(s).